Every new year, thousands of homeowners and renters plan to improve their homes in one way or another. Sustainability is the biggest trend of homes and gardens in 2022, which means that more people will be concentrating on making their homes more eco-friendly. If you plan to improve your home this year, here are five sustainable home improvements you can make.
1. Upgrade to energy-efficient windows
According to new research, around 18% of home energy is lost through windows. Therefore, energy-efficient windows are an important consideration for old and new homes alike. They are designed to prevent heated or cooled air from leaving your home by providing increased insulation. Look for the Energy Star Rating and the energy performance label when buying new windows.
If you don’t want to replace your windows altogether, you can reseal them with weather stripping, door snakes, caulk glaze, or window treatments. To check for drafty windows and doors, light a candle and hold it next to the window or door seam. If the flame bends, then the window is letting air in and out of your house.
2. Switch to energy-saving lighting
LED lights use up to 90% less energy compared to fluorescent and incandescent bulbs. As such, switching to energy-saving bulbs can reduce energy use in your home. In addition to reducing your energy bill, energy-saving lighting, specifically LED lights, offer other numerous benefits, including:
- A long lifespan
- Instantaneous illumination
- Exceptional colour range
- Low radiated heat
3. Switch to solar energy
With solar energy readily available, why not take advantage of it to make your home more eco-friendly. Here are some solar-related home improvements you can make in 2022.
- Solar panels: While solar panels still carry a significant price tag, their price has dropped by more than 70% in the last ten years, making them more accessible. Investing in solar panels will save you thousands of pounds in the long run.
- Solar water heaters: Heating water accounts for 20% of residential energy. Therefore, using solar water heaters can significantly reduce your electricity bill.
- Outdoor solar light: Outdoor lighting plays a vital role in your home security, so you can’t do without it. However to reduce costs, you can use outdoor solar lights. They come complete with rechargeable lithium batteries to ensure your home stays powered through the night.
4. Add a compost bin
Disposing food waste in landfills causes a myriad of problems. In addition to polluting the air, it can also cause greenhouse emissions. When the food scraps bio-degrade, they produce methane, one of the most harmful greenhouse gases.
Reducing, reusing, and recycling food scraps can positively impact the environment, which is why the governments and other environmental organisations encourage homeowners to start a compost bin. Composting reduces greenhouse emissions and helps improve soil fertility, which is essential to fighting climate change. Here is a quick guide on how to compost food waste at home.
5. Add colour using eco-friendly paint
Adding a new coat of paint is one of the quickest ways to transform your home, but unfortunately, most paints contain volatile organic compounds [VOC]. These compounds contain harmful carcinogens that can cause serious health problems. They are also emitted into the air, causing air pollution. When buying paint, ensure that you only use products that do not contain these compounds.
These sustainable home makeover ideas will not improve your home, but they will go a long way in making the world a safer place.